0330 999 8484      enquiries@lonealert.co.uk      Log in

Lone Working Blog

New Year, New Lone Worker Protection

  • Monday, 08 January 2018 08:00
  • Written by 

Everyone is back at work, students are back at school and lone workers are still asking ‘How can I stay safe while working alone?’ Fear not, we’ve got you covered.

Each year here at LONEALERT, we stop and think about how the law on lone working and the safety of lone workers is in such a grey area. With incidents occurring on a regular basis, surely it is enough for everyone to stop and realise the safety measures we need to take when lone working.

When I was younger, my Mom used to say to me ‘Alex, text me when you get there’ as I was leaving to go to a friend’s house, a simple text message to let a loved one know ‘I’m here and I’m safe’. Why does this stop? We seem to believe that as we get older, we don’t need to keep people updated on where we are and if we are ok. How wrong can we be?

There isn’t a single person on this planet that can guarantee their safety while working alone, everyone is always at a risk, no matter how small the risk is. The question I ask you today as an employer or employee is ‘Should you or your employee be attacked, pass out, trip over or anything to the extreme, would someone be able to get the emergency help the lone worker requires?

You may be thinking ‘but I don’t always work alone, 95% of my job is with me being around colleagues or members of the public’. However, that remaining 5% is still enough for an incident to happen. With simple, affordable and easy to use lone worker solutions, lone working needs to leave the ‘grey’ area and be put in the black and white.

We hear about Health and Safety in every induction pack when we start a new job, with employers telling us what rooms we can and can’t enter, how we should pick up heavy boxes and the steel toe cap boots to where when visiting the factory. It is very rare that you will be told about what to do when you are staying late at the office, alone, or when you are driving to go visit a client, alone. My message here isn’t to scare you, it’s to raise awareness on how we need to work together in keeping safe and secure throughout this year while lone working.

If you do have any questions on lone working and what you can do to protect yourself or your staff, please do call us on 0330 999 8484 or email sales@lonealert.co.uk and we will be happy to help.

Have a great year!

  • 1210
  • Last modified on Monday, 08 January 2018 11:46
Alex Bodin

Hi I’m Alex, I work for Advance IT/LONEALERT as a social media analyst and digital marketer.

Website: www.lonealert.co.uk/

More Lone Working Blogs

Where next?

Other Devices

Other Devices

Do you have other lone workers with different needs? View our range of devices.

The O.W.L

The O.W.L

Understand the important role The O.W.L plays in your lone worker solution.

Your Response

Your Response

Having the right response is vital. Have a look at the different types of response available.

Your Industry

Your Industry

Lone workers have many faces from many industries. Understand why you may be at risk.



Have a read of the latest news and blogs. Tell us your thoughts about #LoneWorking.

The LONEALERT Team release regular updates lone worker protection these include
newsletters, blogs as well as latest products. You can keep up to date with this
information by signing up to future updates.

Signup to updates
DMC Firewall is developed by Dean Marshall Consultancy Ltd